Saturday, October 18, 2008

older blog posting brought back to life...

This blog posting was originally posted on my MySpace account, but I thought I'd add it on to this "offiocial" Doug / Action Geek blogsite...

Thursday, April 19, 2007

Wednesday night cab driving in Worcester & abroad...

What a long weird night of cab driving...

At around 10pm I was getting a little pissed off because I wasn't having as good a night money-wise as I'd had Monday & Tuesday, but then I got a call to pick up some people at the Courtyard Marriott and they wanted to go all the way to Milford, MA.

I told the dispatcher and when I got to Milford, the dispatcher (Sue) calls back saying I have a fare / customer at the Milford Hospital Emergency Room who needs to go to Uxbridge for $40. That was incredibly rare! This woman at the hospital was a real piece of work - she was drunk, had been in a car accident involving her new truck that her abusive boyfriend had just bought for her and a 18 year old guy who was driving the truck for this drunk woman. It's all a big mess and I felt awful for this mess of a woman, but... So I headed back to Worcester after having gotten paid. I'm SO glad she didn't just skip out on the bill.

What really sucked about having these two great fares on a Wednesday night was that not only is Red Cab short on night drivers, but Wednesday is our big night taking Holy Cross College students to & from Irish Times bar. We can make ALOT of money transporting the kids to go out and drink... Well, when I got back to Worcester, I picked up some people going back to HC and raced back to Irish Times to pick up another pair...

This next couple, guy & a girl, the guy is REALLY drunk and rude and reeks of booze, he agrees to the $12 flat fee to go back, but complains most of the way that he thinks it's alot and alternately tries to make out with this girl who is alot more sober and really not that interested. She's on the phone and then trying to get drunk guy to notice her new shoes and I said something to the effect that "a way to a woman's heart is to pay attention / appreciate her style" and the girl & I could have had a pleasant chitchat back to the college about fashion,, BUT drunk guy gets enbroiled, wants to stop at the convenience store on the way (she tells him that he won't need to GET what she pretty much knows he's going to buy at the store, probably a condom), but I won't stop at the store, I'm going straight back to the college... The drunk guy verbally abuses me and then OPENS THE CAR DOOR WHILE DRIVING! I yell at the guy, immediately pull over and he gets out, she apologizes profusely, pays me, but not til after I go into my rant about how that behavior was totally inappropriate... Ugh... But I wasn't as phased as I thought I'd be, which is good...

THEN...

Last call of the night... A Worcester Police request to pick up this guy at Park Ave & Stafford Street. He had been pulled over by the cops for erratic driving, drinking and possibly even picking up a prostitute or something. But the guy wanted to go back home all the way to Grafton, past the flea market AND he paid upfront and that was that...

No comments: